As a newly minted associated professor of natural science in a permanent position I finally get research time again. A part of this time is now invested in the TRELIS project, Teacher’s Research Literacy for Science teaching. The goal of the project is to bring the natural science teacher education in Norway up to speed now that it is a master study.
The first two days October 2020 was therefore spent at Dr. Holms hotel at Geilo together with 13 other persons physically present and 2-6 digitally present. Days filled with plans for how to fulfil our mission and updating everybody on where we are and what we do.
There are two work packages that relates to how teachers are working in the school, work package 4 – inquiry based teaching/learning (IBT and IBL), and work package 5 – modelling in schools. While both are interesting, and I have spent most of my adult life doing modelling work in physics, physical chemistry, geoscience and geobiochemistry, I have chosen to participate in WP-4, and thus I got to know the earthworm in the video above. This was Charlotte Askland’s example of how to teach the teacher students at Oslomet to observe, so they can start learning from nature.
While WP-4 and 5 are focused on how to do IBT/L and modelling, WP-6 is all about getting our research out to those that hopefully will use our research. Included in the project are therefore people who are working at science museums and their like, people how are traveling around showing teachers and pupils how to use new tools like micro:bit.
I have hopes for this project. For I think that if we can get teachers to really utilise the tools of IBT for IBL, then more pupils will find the joy of learning natural sciences. They can understand that while there are some absolute answers in the natural sciences, the goal of science class is not to rehearse those truths until you can recite them perfectly, but the goal is to learn how to ask the good questions. Those that bring us onward.
Språkforsker Kjersti Fløttum og klimaforsker Lea Svendsen diskuterer språkets betydning for klimadebatten og vår forståelse av verden. Kjersti Fløttum er professor ved Institutt for fremmedspråk ved UiB og leder av LINGCLIM, mens Lea Svendsen er postdoktor ved Bjerknessenteret og Geofysisk institutt ved UiB.
Programleder er Ellen Viste, rådgiver ved Bjerknessenteret for klimaforskning. Hun jobber med formidling i senteret og har bakgrunn som forsker med nedbør som spesialfelt.
Episoden er tatt opp hos UiB i Media City Bergen.
Den er redigert av Ingjald Pilskog, førsteamanuensis i naturfag ved lærerutdanningen ved Høgskulen på Vestlandet og formidler ved Bjerknessenteret for klimaforskning.
Musikken er av Lee Rosevere – Arcade Montage. Creative commons lisens B.Y. 3.0
My former office mate, Siv Kari Lauvset, got interviewed by Ellen Viste and me about her role in gathering data about carbon i the oceans and why we need it. As most of the podcasts I make it is in Norwegian.
A couple of weeks ago I attended a PodCast workshop organised by ResClim and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, and led by Jack Soper.
Soper is a former BBC-producer turned freelancer. He still work for BBC, but also “run smartphone reporting training for journalists and producers and am currently visiting lecturer at both University of Westminster and City University, teaching media and journalism”, as he writes about himself on his webpage. I can highly recommend his course!
The focus on the course was on how to turn the great content that we already have, into a PodCast. As Soper stated, content is king, and we all were researchers with a lot to tell the world, but we lacked the experience on how to turning it into something that people will listen to.
The first point we needed to learn was how to write for audio. Secondly, how to do a good recording. Third step was editing. Fourth, how to get it out there.
Before the workshop started I had some ideas on what I wanted to make a PodCast about, and that was how climate models tick. During the first day though, I needed to write a short text for the webpage of the Organic project that I am part of. I therefore ended up with adapting that text to audio. Listening through it now, and discussing it with Ashley Braunthal, a fellow science communicator at SciSnack, I see that this was a bad strategy as it set some limits on how I built the text that do not work optimal. So I might revisit the topic later. I will keep it as it is for now, since it is limited how much time I have to use on it, and I want to make new PodCasts on other topics.